Tuesday, February 18, 2014

No more dryer sheets...

This is my second post about simple, natural laundry solutions. You can read the first one here.

After my high school science teacher taught us how dryer sheets worked, I knew that they were something I wanted to avoid putting on my clothes. I am pretty sure he was doing a lesson on electricity and used it as an example, but of course I forget that part ;). Oddly, I also remember the time he lit a gummy bear on fire and blew it up.  Ahem. I'm sure my camp friends understand...Sarah and Andrew?

Back to the point. Basically, after my teacher explained that the dryer sheets essentially coat our clothes to stop them from clinging together with static and to make them feel softer, with chemicals, I questioned whether I really wanted them on my clothes. I just left it alone however, until I came to university. Then I had to pay for them. Ha! During my first year at school, I just didn't use any because I refused to spend money on a little sheet to fluff my clothes that I would simply throw away afterwards. I eventually heard about dryer balls - made with wool or plastic. After doing some research, I decided that I wanted some wool dryer balls, but they were really expensive (usually around $40) so I put them on my "someday" list in my brain and forgot about it.

But one day, a really random thing happened. I was watching my two cousins and needed to get out of their house for a few hours so some work could be done, and decided that it would be a good idea to take the stroller and walk 45 minutes away. Now before you write me off as completely crazy, I will have you note that I knew coming back would be nap time for the baby. Which meant one of two things - it would go horribly or wonderfully. See? Only half crazy. That's how it works right? As it turned out, they BOTH fell asleep and suddenly I was just walking along with two sleeping kids and an hour and a half to kill. So I decided to check out this unique little shop that sold eco-friendly home decor as I was walking past and right inside the door was a set of four wool dryer balls on sale for something like $17! So I got more excited than I should have, and bought them. And THAT, my friends, is how I became the proud owner of wool dryer balls. Because you all wanted a 3 paragraph spiel on that right?

Anyways, I'm just here to tell you that a great natural alternative to dryer sheets is to use dryer balls.

I have these ones


Allow me to explain...
Dryer balls are energy efficient and cost saving. They decrease drying time by about 40%. How? The balls get tossed around with the clothes in the dryer, allowing for better air circulation and resulting in faster drying time. The balls also fluff the clothes as they move about, making the fabric feel softer without just coating them in chemicals. The fluffing (yes that is the technical term, thank you) helps to decrease wrinkles too. They also last for years and years, so you definitely get your money's worth out of them.

Most companies that make dryer balls claim that they cut static, and while I would say they definitely don't remove it, they do help somewhat. Especially if you try not to over-dry your clothes. And if you still want your clothes to smell nice, you can just add a couple drops of essential oils to each dryer ball too.

You can also make them yourself! There are tons of tutorials out there, so check them out. I wish I had known that you could make your own before buying them!
Of course, the cheapest, most natural option is to just air dry your clothes... :) But for the times you use the dryer, these are great!

Some links! 
In the Southern Ontario area:
Dryer balls in Toronto, Ontario
Dryer balls in Orillia, Ontario
Dryer balls in Barrie, Ontario (by ordering)

Read more:
Do wool dryer balls shrink drying time?


No comments:

Post a Comment