Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Winter Granola


Today I have a recipe for you that is sure to make your heart happy. For sure. No question.

Ok...maybe I can't guarantee that. (Don't go suing me or something drastic). But it will make your stomach happy. At least it makes mine happy... This is just going downhill now, so let's cut to the chase, shall we? 

I love granola. I eat it almost daily, either on yogurt or with milk (I like to pretend it's cinnamon toast crunch...which is my cereal. You know, that one cereal that you ask for every time you go down the breakfast aisle in the grocery store and every. single. time. (alright, except that one time it went on sale last year) your mom says no and crushes your dreams all over again? You don't? Oh. Well tell that to my mom, please.) I also really don't like plain oatmeal (my student budget wishes I did though) and this is a good way to eat it without the nasty texture that makes me gag. Anyways, this recipe is super simple, and incredibly delicious. 


Winter Granola
Ingredients: 
3 1/2 c. Oatmeal (I prefer large flake oats that I can buy in bulk from the health food store, but any kind will work, really)
1/2 c. Milled or Ground Flax Seed (if you don't want to know it's there, just pulverize the crap out of it and no one has to know)
1/8 c. Wheat Germ (optional)
1 c. Shredded or Flaked Coconut
3/4 c. Almonds - coarsely chopped (or walnuts, pecans, or any nut you like really!) 
1/4 c. Sucanat (or packed brown sugar)
1/3 c. Butter or Coconut Oil (I usually use a combination of the two)
1/4. Raw Honey
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
3/4 c. Dried Cranberries (or raisins; even another dried fruit - optional)


Directions: 
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.

2. In a large bowl, combine oats, flax, wheat germ, coconut, and nuts. Set aside.

3. In a saucepan, combine sugar, butter/coconut oil, honey, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and remove from heat after 30 seconds. Stir in vanilla.

4. Pour syrup mixture over oat blend and stir to coat.
5. Spread on a large, shallow baking pan.

6. Bake for 15-20 min. or until beautifully golden, stirring occasionally. Cool.
7. When cool, add cranberries.








* For a treat, I will sometimes add semi-sweet chocolate chips. White chocolate chips are also amazing combined with the cranberries!
**Another variation is to make a maple walnut version by using walnuts and substituting maple syrup for the honey. 
***The recipe makes a lot more than the jar I pictured above. I usually freeze most of it and then keep a mason jar's worth in the cupboard so it stays fresh. I'd say I get about 4 jars, give or take. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks so so so good!! I will be cooking this up over the weekend, no doubt :)

    ReplyDelete